Leading European tour operator Thomson has launched a new mobile app ahead of the summer holiday period as it prepares to unveil its next generation hi-tech store of the future.
The MyThomson app will allow customers to access information about their trip while on the go including destination guides, weather updates and flight times.
It will also be integrated into social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter.
Johan Lundgren, deputy chief executive of Tui Travel, said: “Tui Travel is an online driven business and we will continue to enhance our mobile offering.
“The launch of the MyThomson app is an exciting new way of connecting our customers with Thomson anytime, anywhere, anyway.
“Innovation is at the heart of our strategy to deliver future growth, and the launch of the MyThomson app reflects our position as market leader.
“The annual summer holiday is a significant purchase for our customers and we know that they not only spend time choosing and planning their holiday but also looking forward to it.
“The app is a fantastic way to get customers more excited about their holiday and will help them keep up to date with all the information they need in one place, just a tap away.”
Meanwhile, Tui will announce next month which location has been chose for its new concept store that it promises will harness the latest technology to drive customers in.
The firm hopes to have refitted 10 of its 700 UK stores by Christmas and as many as 100 in coming years.
Tui said a key strategy is “selling directly to our customers through multiple channels, and so our retail network remains important to us”. It added “the emphasis of these new shops will be on service in a modern environment”.
Kathryn Ward, director of retail and financial services, said: “Our next generation store recognises the importance of people when it comes to choosing and booking a holiday, whilst integrating technology into the whole experience to really bring it to life.
“Customers will be able to immerse themselves in stunning, rich and evocative content as they research and browse our unique holidays in-store.”
Key features of the next generation Thomson shops include:
– The shop front will have a giant immersive video wall (2m x 3m) to showcase new video content and imagery of the holidays combined with evocative sounds and aromas
– At the entrance an interactive map and interactive table will entertain customers and help them research holidays and find out more about the broad range of product available
– The Advice Bar will give customers the chance to browse the Thomson and First Choice websites on self-service laptops with staff on hand to answer any questions
– Free customer WiFi will also enable customers to use their own devices to research in store and check out review content
– High definition screens and booth projections around the store will feature changing images and videos to inspire customers and give them a feel of what to expect from their holidays before they book
– The store will be zoned to meet the needs of all customers and staff will join them to help with their holiday decisions. Customers can choose from sitting around a laptop in the pool area, self-serving at the Advice Bar or have a more personalised experience in the booths where images of their chosen holiday will be projected on the wall
– All customers will be served with barista style coffee to further enhance the booking experience