Luxury operator Abercrombie & Kent’s boutique London concept store won a top accolade for innovation at the annual Globe Travel Awards run by Travolution sister title Travel Weekly.
The annual trade awards took place last night in London where over 1,000 guests gathered at Park Lane’s Grosvenor House hotel to find out who had won the industry’s most prestigious gongs.
In the special panel-judged Innovation in Travel category, sponsored by Travelport, Abercrombie & Kent fought off tough competition to claim the award.
Simon Ferguson, Travelport UK and Ireland regional director, said the store stood out for the way it has used technology to offer a modern face-to-face shopping experience.
He singled out the store’s use of Skype allowing customers to chat live to people in the destinations they are interested in as one prime example of how the operator has been innovative.
Travelport itself picked up the best technology provider in the Serving the Industry Sector category of awards which are decided purely by travel agent votes.
A separate consumer awards run in conjunction with The Daily Mail saw Expedia win the Favourite Online Booking Website award.
The awards were presented by comedian Michael McIntyre and Travel Weekly editor-in-chief Lucy Huxley.
Entertainment came from X Factor singer Jahmene Douglas and rising star Tich, while Mad Hen rocked the after-party following their standout performance at last year’s ITT conference in Barbados.
The Winners in full
On The Water Sector, sponsored by Icelolly.com
- Best Ferry Company: P&O Ferries
- Best Mainstream Cruise Company: Royal Caribbean Internationl
- Best Premium Cruise Company: Celebrity Cruises
- Best Specialist Cruise Company, Including River: Hurtigruten
- Best Luxury Cruise Company: Silversea Cruises
On The Move Sector, sponsored by P&O Ferries
- Best Rail Operator: Eurostar
- Best Coach Operator: Trafalgar
- Best Car Rental Operator: Holiday Autos
Consumer Awards, sponsored by Mail Newspapers
- Favourite Cruise Company: P&O Cruises
- Favourite Long-haul Operator: Virgin Holidays
- Favourite Short-haul Operator: Thomas Cook
- Favourite Escorted Tours Operator: Kuoni
- Favourite Airline: British Airways
- Favourite Hotel Chain: Hilton
- Favourite Online Booking Website: Expedia
Flying Sector, sponsored by The Holiday Team
- Best Short-haul Airline: Jet2.com
- Best Long-haul Airline: Emirates
- Best UK Airport: London Heathrow
- Best Charter Airline: Monarch Airlines
- Best UK Hotel Chain: Hilton
- Best UK Theme Park: Alton Towers
- Best Operator UK Holidays: Superbreak
- Best All-Inclusive Resort Operator: Sandals
- Best Tourist Board UK Office: Dubai Tourism
- Best Theme Park (worldwide): Walt Disney World Resort Florida
- Best Hotel Chain (worldwide): Hilton
- Best Add-ons Provider: Attraction World
- Best Technology Provider: Travelport
- Best Insurance Provider: Holiday Extras
- Best Trade Sales Team: One Stop Touring Shop
- Best Trade Friendly Provider: Attraction World
- Best Long-haul Operator (multi destination): Gold Medal Travel
- Best Long-haul Specialist Operator: Wendy Wu Tours
- Best Luxury Operator: Kuoni
- Best Consolidator: Gold Medal Travel
- Best Accommodation-only Provider: Medhotels.com
- Best Operator Ski/Activity: Neilson Holidays
- Best Short-haul Operator: Classic Collection Holidays
- Best Airline: Emirates
- Best Cruise Line: Silversea
- Best Tour Operator: Kuoni
- Best Hotel Chain: Four Seasons
- Best Destination: Dubai
- Abercrombie & Kent’s stand-alone retail store
The Penny Akam Award for Unsung Heroes, sponsored by Affordable Car Hire
- Tracy Burden, Midcounties Co-operative Travel Group
Outstanding Achievement Award, sponsored by Avis
- Willie Walsh
Lifetime Achievement Award, sponsored by the WTTC
- Stanley Tollman