The Travel Technology Initiative has raised concerns over the take-up of social media by the travel industry.
TTI chairman Peter Dennis said: “With over 3.5 billion pieces of content shared on Facebook each week and with 1.3 million tweets sent out per hour, it is vital that those in travel tap into social media.
“At TTI, we have been concerned that too many travel companies are either ignoring social media or not making the most of what is fast becoming the industry’s most significant customer communication channel.
TTI has revealed details of a conference next month to debate the issue with ten key speakers. The Social Revolution event takes place on March 14 at the Hesperia London Victoria Hotel.
The conference will cover how to use Facebook and Twitter to good commercial effect, launching a community, making the most of video and understanding mobile social media.
Dennis added: “We have decided to take action by organising this event that will bring together a team of experts with real experience at using social media to drive business.”
The full list of speakers due appear at the event is:
- Vikki O’Neill, marketing & branding manager, Giraffe
- Colm Hanratty, editor, Hostelworld.com
- Matt Rhodes, clients services director, FreshNetworks
- Justin Reid, head of digital and social media, VisitBritain
- Adriana Conte, social media programme manager, VisitBritain
- Tim Gunstone, managing director, Eyefortravel
- Jeroen Van Velzen, chief executive, The Sound of Data
- Alan Jaramillo, key account manager Mice sales, NH Hotels
- Anthony Rawlins, managing director, Digital Visitor
- Angela Fenocchi, PR and new product development manager, Warner Leisure Hotels