Press release: Business rail travellers who’ve missed their usual train home can avoid the stress of not knowing when the next one is, or even if there is a next one, thanks to the new journey planning iPhone app from thetrainline.com.
Launched just four days ago, the free app, which gives rail travellers instant access to train times and journey planning functions, has already hit the number one spot for the most popular free travel downloads and is number two for free downloads overall.
Users can find their Next Train Home in just one touch, with the app using GPS for the traveller’s current location and the pre-stored home station – handy when in a meeting that’s over-ran.
Those needing to plan their travel to a meeting or conference can use the app’s Journey Planning feature for simple, start to finish train time planning and by simply turning the phone upside down the return journey is displayed too. Corporate travellers making the same journey regularly can access the Stored Timetable in just two taps even when they’re off-line* – handy if travelling on the Tube.
Corporate travellers can take advantage of the app’s unique integration with Twitter. Pre-loaded with a # tag specific to the users’ trains, travellers can quickly connect to fellow passengers – ideal for those attending a conference and looking or see if anyone wants to share a taxi on arrival.
Iain Hildreth, marketing director at thetrainline.com, said: “thetrainline.com app is perfect for both business and leisure travellers on the go. Its features will be invaluable to rail users wanting information about an imminent journey as well as to those planning in advance.”
Developed in conjunction with Kizoom, thetrainline app is packed with innovative and intuitive features. Other highlights of the app include:
* Buying train tickets – the app’s Journey Planning facility links through to thetrainline.com’s site enabling users to purchase tickets for the journey they’ve just searched for
* Users can find useful information, including maps and taxi firm details, about the destination station with the Journey Details page
* The Station Search facility is connected to the device’s in-built GPS showing a user the stations closest to their current location in a map – particularly useful when in unfamiliar surroundings
* Timeline View: for those who enjoy simple, at-a-glance information, a simple turn of the iPhone to its side displays a graphical representation of suggested journey times in a calendar style format
Tim Johnson, product development manager at Kizoom, said: “This app brings together years of experience in delivering innovative high quality travel services by both thetrainline.com and Kizoom. It’s highly usable and compelling, yet with some quirky added features. We’re particularly excited about the introduction of social networking into travel services.”
The app is now available to download for free from the Apple Store – simply search for thetrainline.
* Internet access is initially required to download the timetable.