Where I’ve Been (WIB) announced today the launch of its new social travel platform, which features a powerful combination of social networking tools and location-based information services.
Where I’ve Been currently has more than eight million users, approximately 0.5 billion travel intents and over 2 million user reviews, with integration spanning the world’s top social networks including Facebook, Bebo, MySpace, hi5, Friendster and its own homepage.
The new site launch offers the ability to research and plan travel, share videos, photos, stories, as well as post and receive reviews and travel advice, all within the context of each member’s preferred networks.
New features include:
* A shift from “countries and cities” to local points of interest
* Ability to search, review and get information on more than 30 million global data points including destinations, hotels, restaurants and bars
* Aggregated videos, reviews, and other content from members and leading travel sites such as Citysearch, Kayak and hotelvideoreviews.com
* Third party integration tools such as the online travel itinerary and trip planning service Tripit (www.tripit.com)
* Travel Bucks Virtual Currency. Earn Travel Bucks to save the rainforest or feed a child in Mali or other philanthropic projects. The more actions you perform on the site, the more Travel Bucks you earn
* “News-feed style” updates from friends, other users and trusted resources that are weighted and filtered for relevancy to each member
* “Ask an Expert” allows members to get intimate knowledge from the community and reputable travel professionals
* A continuously growing community on Twitter with traveltuesday.org and #traveltuesday
“We believe that Where I’ve Been will now be the most efficient and robust single source for comprehensive travel-planning information,” Michael Dalesandro, co-founder and WIB chief executive.
“By using relevancy metrics derived from user profile content and proprietary filtering engines, our newest offering can suggest everything from local bars and restaurants, to far-away countries you may enjoy.
“With our new technology, Where I’ve Been is poised to dramatically expand its user base and add to a powerful relevance model to become the world’s premier social travel platform and thus increasing conversions,” continued Dalesandro.